Professor Peter Lee
Peter (Vee Sin) Lee is a Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Melbourne.
Prof Peter Lee obtained his BEng in Mechanical Engineering (1st Class Hons. 1991) and PhD (1996) in Bioengineering from the University of Strathclyde, UK, and continued his post-doc in the same university from 1996–1998. He was a Research Fellow with the Biomaterials Group at the Institute of Materials Research and Engineering, Singapore from 1998–2001. In 2001, he joined the Defence Medical and Environmental Research Institute, DSO National Laboratories, Singapore, as the Head of the Bioengineering Laboratory. He was appointed as an Adjunct Associate Professor from 2002–2008 at the National University of Singapore, Division of Bioengineering. He joined University of Melbourne as a Senior Lecturer in 2008.
- ability to predict and better understand the mechanism of injury, leading to effective prevention strategies. Research spans all three levels, the human, organs and cells. These investigations use human volunteers and computational models to advance our understanding of clinical symptoms, pathological evidence and injury. Computational studies include models to the human brain, head-neck, spine, knee and foot.
- biomechanics for lower limb prostheses and orthoses; CAD/CAM and rapid prototyping methods for prosthetic socket manufacturing to improve artificial limb function and amputee acceptance; development of new materials and methods for low cost prostheses.
- Shaktivesh S, Malekipour F, Lee P. Shock absorbing ability in healthy and damaged cartilage-bone under high-rate compression. Journal of the Mechanical Behavior of Biomedical Materials. Elsevier. 2019, Vol. 90. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmbbm.2018.10.023
- Dimitroulis G, Austin S, Lee V, Ackland D. A new three-dimensional, print-on-demand temporomandibular prosthetic total joint replacement system: Preliminary outcomes. JOURNAL OF CRANIO-MAXILLOFACIAL SURGERY. Churchill Livingstone. 2018, Vol. 46, Issue 8. DOI: 10.1016/j.jcms.2018.05.028
- Roehrle O, Saini H, Lee P, Ackland D. A novel computational method to determine subject-specific bite force and occlusal loading during mastication. COMPUTER METHODS IN BIOMECHANICS AND BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING. Gordon Breach Publishing. 2018, Vol. 21, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1080/10255842.2018.1479744
- Lythgo N, Lee P, Laing S, Lavranos J, Nguyen HT. A water-based pressure casting method for transtibial prosthetic socket fit in developing countries. IFMBE Proceedings. 2018, Vol. 63. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-10-4361-1_17
- Laing S, Lythgo N, Lavranos J, Lee P. An investigation of pressure profiles and wearer comfort during walking with a transtibial hydrocast socket.. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2018. DOI: 10.1097/PHM.0000000000001043
- Williamson A, Sims N, Thomas C, Lee P, Stevenson M, Whitton R. Biomechanical testing of the calcified metacarpal articular surface and its association with subchondral bone microstructure in Thoroughbred racehorses. EQUINE VETERINARY JOURNAL. Equine Veterinary Journal. 2018, Vol. 50, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1111/evj.12748
- Imbalzano G, Linforth S, Ngo T, Lee P, Phuong T. Blast resistance of auxetic and honeycomb sandwich panels: Comparisons and parametric designs. COMPOSITE STRUCTURES. Pergamon. 2018, Vol. 183. DOI: 10.1016/j.compstruct.2017.03.018
- Keenan C, Langenbach S, Jativa F, Harris T, Li M, Chen Q, Xia Y, Gao B, Schuliga M, Jaffar J, Prodanovic D, Tu Y, Berhan A, Lee V, Westall GP, Stewart A. Casein Kinase 1 delta/epsilon Inhibitor, PF670462 Attenuates the Fibrogenic Effects of Transforming Growth Factor-beta in Pulmonary Fibrosis. FRONTIERS IN PHARMACOLOGY. Frontiers Research Foundation. 2018, Vol. 9, Issue JUL. DOI: 10.3389/fphar.2018.00738
- Rajagopal V, Holmes WR, Lee P. Computational modeling of single-cell mechanics and cytoskeletal mechanobiology. WILEY INTERDISCIPLINARY REVIEWS-SYSTEMS BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE. 2018, Vol. 10, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1002/wsbm.1407
- Ackland D, Robinson D, Lee V, Dimitroulis G. Design and clinical outcome of a novel 3D-printed prosthetic joint replacement for the human temporomandibular joint. CLINICAL BIOMECHANICS. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 56. DOI: 10.1016/j.clinbiomech.2018.05.006
- Lavecchia CE, Espino DM, Moerman KM, Tse K, Robinson D, Lee P, Shepherd DET. Lumbar model generator: a tool for the automated generation of a parametric scalable model of the lumbar spine. JOURNAL OF THE ROYAL SOCIETY INTERFACE. The Royal Society Publishing. 2018, Vol. 15, Issue 138. DOI: 10.1098/rsif.2017.0829
- Wu W, Fong J, Crocher V, Lee V, Oetomo D, Tan Y, Ackland D. Modulation of shoulder muscle and joint function using a powered upper-limb exoskeleton. JOURNAL OF BIOMECHANICS. Pergamon. 2018, Vol. 72. DOI: 10.1016/j.jbiomech.2018.02.019
- Malekipour F, Whitton R, Lee P. Stiffness and energy dissipation across the superficial and deeper third metacarpal subchondral bone in Thoroughbred racehorses under high-rate compression. JOURNAL OF THE MECHANICAL BEHAVIOR OF BIOMEDICAL MATERIALS. Elsevier. 2018, Vol. 85. DOI: 10.1016/j.jmbbm.2018.05.031
- Robinson D, Jiang H, Song Q, Yates C, Lee P, Wark J. The application of finite element modelling based on clinical pQCT for classification of fracture status. Biomechanics and Modeling in Mechanobiology. Springer. 2018. DOI: 10.1007/s10237-018-1079-7
- Laing S, Lee P, Lavranos J, Lythgo N. The functional, spatio-temporal and satisfaction outcomes of transtibial amputees with a hydrocast socket following an extended usage period in an under-resourced environment. GAIT & POSTURE. Elsevier Science. 2018, Vol. 66. DOI: 10.1016/j.gaitpost.2018.08.022
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile