Dr Sam John
- Biomedical Signal Processing
- Bionic Vision
- Electronic Design
- Medical Bionics
- Nervous disorders and Rehabilitation
- Neural Prostheses
- Sensory deficit and Rehabilitation
Sam John is an Research Fellow in the Department of Biomedical Engineering with a honorary appointments in the Department of Medicine at the University of Melbourne. In addition he also has honorary appointment at the Royal Melbourne Hospital and the Florey Institute of Neuroscience and Mental Health. He has a passion for taking technology from the Lab to people who need it most.
His primary research involves developing next generation implantable neural prostheses that interact with the the nervous system. Dr. John's research draws from his background in medical electronics, electrical and electronic engineering and systems neurophysiology. He has significant experience in cochlear implants, bionic eyes and brain machine interface.
His current work aims to bring ground breaking endovascular neural interface toward restoring lost motor and sensory function due to paralysis as well as in the diagnosis, prediction and management of epilepsy without the need for an open brain surgery.
- John S, Apollo N, Opie N, Rind G, Ronayne S, May C, Oxley T, Grayden D. In Vivo Impedance Characterization of Cortical Recording Electrodes Shows Dependence on Electrode Location and Size. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2019, Vol. 66, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1109/TBME.2018.2854623
- Yoo P, John S, Farquharson S, Cleary J, Wong YT, Ng A, Mulcahy C, Grayden D, Ordidge R, Opie N, O'Brien T, Oxley T, Moffat B. 7T-fMRI: Faster temporal resolution yields optimal BOLD sensitivity for functional network imaging specifically at high spatial resolution. NEUROIMAGE. Academic Press. 2018, Vol. 164. DOI: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2017.03.002
- Aldaoud A, Redoute JM, Ganesan K, G S Rind, John S, Ronayne S, Opie N, Garrett D, Prawer S. A Stent-Based Power and Data Link for Sensing Intravascular Biological Indicators. IEEE Sensors Letters. IEEE Press. 2018, Vol. 2, Issue 4. DOI: 10.1109/LSENS.2018.2876350
- Oxley T, Opie N, Rind G, Liyanage K, John S, Ronayne S, McDonald A, Dornom A, Lovell T, Mitchell P, Bennett I, Bauquier S, Warne L, Steward C, Grayden D, Desmond P, Davis S, O'Brien T, May C. An ovine model of cerebral catheter venography for implantation of an endovascular neural interface. JOURNAL OF NEUROSURGERY. American Association of Neurological Surgeons. 2018, Vol. 128, Issue 4. DOI: 10.3171/2016.11.JNS161754
- Nurse E, John S, Freestone D, Oxley T, Ung H, Berkovic S, O'Brien T, Cook M, Grayden D. Consistency of Long-Term Subdural Electrocorticography in Humans. IEEE TRANSACTIONS ON BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING. IEEE - Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers. 2018, Vol. 65, Issue 2. DOI: 10.1109/TBME.2017.2768442
- Gerboni G, John S, Ronayne S, Rind G, May C, Oxley T, Grayden D, Opie N, Wong Y. Cortical Brain Stimulation with Endovascular Electrodes.. Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2018, Vol. 2018. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2018.8512971
- Opie N, John S, Rind G, Ronayne S, May C, Grayden D, Oxley T. Effect of Implant Duration, Anatomical Location and Electrode Orientation on Bandwidth Recorded with a Chronically Implanted Endovascular Stent-Electrode Array. 2018 40th Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC). Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. 2018, Vol. 2018-July. DOI: 10.1109/EMBC.2018.8512385.
- Yoo PE, Oxley T, John S, Opie N, Ordidge R, O'Brien T, Hagan MA, Wong Y, Moffat B. Feasibility of identifying the ideal locations for motor intention decoding using unimodal and multimodal classification at 7T-fMRI. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. Nature Publishing Group. 2018, Vol. 8, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-018-33839-4
- Opie N, John S, Rind G, Ronayne S, Wong Y, Gerboni G, Yoo P, Lovell T, Scordas TCM, Wilson SL, Dornom A, Vale T, O'Brien T, Grayden D, May C, Oxley T. Focal stimulation of the sheep motor cortex with a chronically implanted minimally invasive electrode array mounted on an endovascular stent. NATURE BIOMEDICAL ENGINEERING. Nature Publishing Group. 2018, Vol. 2, Issue 12. DOI: 10.1038/s41551-018-0321-z
- Aldaoud A, Redoute J-M, Ganesan K, Rind G, John S, Ronayne S, Opie N, Garrett D, Prawer S. Near-field wireless power transfer to stent-based biomedical implants. IEEE Journal of Electromagnetics, RF and Microwaves in Medicine and Biology. IEEE. 2018, Vol. 2, Issue 3. DOI: 10.1109/JERM.2018.2833386
- Yoo P, Cleary J, Kolbe S, Ordidge R, O'Brien T, Opie N, John S, Oxley T, Moffat B. Optimized partial-coverage functional analysis pipeline (OPFAP): a semi-automated pipeline for skull stripping and co-registration of partial-coverage, ultra-high-field functional images. MAGNETIC RESONANCE MATERIALS IN PHYSICS BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE. Springer. 2018, Vol. 31, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1007/s10334-018-0690-z
- John S, Opie N, Wong Y, Rind G, Ronayne S, Gerboni G, Bauquier S, O'Brien T, May C, Grayden D, Oxley T. Signal quality of simultaneously recorded endovascular, subdural and epidural signals are comparable. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. Nature Publishing Group. 2018, Vol. 8, Issue 1. DOI: 10.1038/s41598-018-26457-7
- Yoo P, Hagan MA, John S, Opie N, Ordidge R, O'Brien T, Oxley T, Moffat B, Wong YT. Spatially dynamic recurrent information flow across long-range dorsal motor network encodes selective motor goals. HUMAN BRAIN MAPPING. Wiley-Liss. 2018, Vol. 39, Issue 6. DOI: 10.1002/hbm.24029
- Gerboni G, John S, Rind G, Ronayne S, May C, Oxley T, Grayden D, Opie N, Wong Y. Visual evoked potentials determine chronic signal quality in a stent-electrode endovascular neural interface. BIOMEDICAL PHYSICS & ENGINEERING EXPRESS. Institute of Physics Publishing. 2018, Vol. 4, Issue 5. DOI: 10.1088/2057-1976/aad714
- Oxley T, Opie N, John S, Rind G, Ronayne S, Burkitt A, Grayden D, May C, O'Brien T. A Minimally Invasive Endovascular Stent-Electrode Array for Chronic Recordings of Cortical Neural Activity. BRAIN-COMPUTER INTERFACE RESEARCH: A STATE-OF-THE-ART SUMMARY 6. Springer Verlag. 2017. Editors: Guger C, Allison B, Lebedev M. DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-64373-1_6
View a full list of publications on the University of Melbourne’s ‘Find An Expert’ profile